"So... do I really have to let the students pick their partners?  If so, why?
Do I need to keep the same pairs all year?  If so, why? Jan

Jan,
I have a reading and science manual from Berkeley University that is research
based.  Turn and Talk was a major component of the teacher instruction.  It was
never suggested that the partners remain the same throughout the year.  Last
year, I started out making the partnerships.  Later on in the year, I would
just tell them to make a smart choice when they came to our discussion circle
(meaning don't sit with someone that will cause you to be inattentive).  The
pairings varied.  If I child felt helpful, they might choose to sit with
someone they thought they might be able to assist with the task, or they might
sit with someone from their reading group, or with someone they weren't often
able to work with.  I think it would be stifling to have to sit with the same
person for an entire school year!  I would be interested in the research behind
that one!  (Not that I think the research is always right either.)

Leslie R. Stewart
(203)481-5386 X310  FAX (203)483-0749
lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
  ~ Dr. Seuss