From: mosaic-bounces+kamills=seattleschools....@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-bounces+kamills=seattleschools....@literacyworkshop.org]
On Behalf Of wr...@att.net
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 7:11 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies EmailGroup
Subject: [MOSAIC] workshop

Yesterday the grade 3-8 teachers in my district met together to have
training on workshop.

Our trainer said that partners for turn and talk should be kept the same
all year.  The trainer also said that students should pick their only
partners.

I'd like to move partners around (maybe as often as every six weeks) as
I see that certain students could help each other learn more.  I also
want to pick the partners because there are always some students who
want to work together, but they just goof off.

Letting students choose their partner, and then breaking up that partner
group a week later, will create lots of uproar.  It's smoother for me to
just match the partners from the beginning.

So... do I really have to let the students pick their partners?  If so,
why?  Do I need to keep the same pairs all year?  If so, why?
Jan