What was the skill that the poetry book couldn't relate to it in some way?
----- Original Message ----- From: "Cathleen Cunningham" <ccca...@gmail.com>
To: <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:57 PM
Subject: [MOSAIC] Independent Reading - Question/help

Hello Everyone,

I need to know when you have your students read independently is there some
sort of authentic piece that they have to give
you so you know they are reading?

To make a long story short my third grade students are not allowed to read
for enjoyment.  We are a Reading
First school. We have a 90 minute reading block: 30 minute whole group, 60
minutes small group and workstations.
We seem to pack our stations so the students can't independently read. They
follow a Must Do list that includes a practice
page and then their station, yes only 1 a day.  I can't tell how much this
breaks my heart and I cannot go another year
developing kids who don't/can't read for pleasure in school.

So, this year I thought about breaking the kids up into 4 groups (Mon, Tues,
Wed, Thurs) .  Each day students from a group would write me a short
letter in their notebook telling me about the book they are reading.  They
could use the skill we're discussing in reading like
problem solution, or drawing conclusions, etc.  Then I would write them
back.  My classroom library is Lexile leveled so I know they would be
reading
at their level.

Does anyone do something like this?  Does this sounds like it would
worthwhile for the kids?  I got in trouble last year because a struggle
reader
was reading a poetry book during reading and it didn't have anything to do
with the skill we were on for the week.  I don't want to go through that
again.

Thanks for all your help and keep up the great work that you do!!
Cathleen