I teach 2nd grade, and our school uses Lucy Calkins' Units of Study. During
the first couple of units (Launching the Writing Workshop, and Small
Moments), kids are taught to write about something they did or something
that happened to them. I've asked kids before: "Did you play with the
butterflies and rainbows?" or something similar. Of course, they haven't. We
use mentor texts to model things that happen to us, like A Chair for My
Mother.

I have a group of boys this year that write about the computer games they
play (non-violent, thankfully). I let them write one, but then they have to
come up w/ other things to write about, and then publish. As a class we make
a list of things we can write about. Here are some examples:

A time when I went somewhere (beach, Walmart, field trip)
A time when I did something with someone special (cousins, mom, grandpa)
Something I saw, smelled, tasted, touched or heard
Something I've done once and would like to do again
Something I've done once and never want to do again
Something I did that made me happy, sad, embarrassed, angry, excited,
surprised

etc.

We worked on this list during a couple of minilessons. The next step is to
"zoom in" on a small moment. For example, say a child writes about his week
at Outer Banks beach. We talk about how to zoom in on the putt-putt game, or
the water slide, or when the wave knocked him over, etc. Makes for MUCH
better writing!

We do get into creative writing later, but this is a nice way to start,
because you can refer back to it when starting the creative writing.

Melissa/VA/2nd