Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:58 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] fluency

Lori,
I wish that some of the parents of my students with the same issue had your
wisdom.  I cannot convince them that oral fluency does not impact reading
comprehension, and that reading comprehension is the most important part of reading. All they see is that when their ten-year-olds read aloud, they read painstakingly slowly and they stumble over "easy" words. Through a variety of measures, I have shown that these children are often comprehending texts
above grade level at deeper levels than many of the "good readers," to no
avail. I tell them that instead of having their child read aloud at home, to
have her/him read silently and then discuss what was read.

The parents also cannot hear when I say that oral fluency is only meant for
performance, even when I ask them to tell the last time they read aloud in
their lives (other than reading to their kids).

I too use Readers' Theater and poetry to make fluency authentic, and one
nice resource is Benchmarks Readers' Theater books which have a variety of
topics and genres, and "level" each part so that a variety of children can
participate in the same book. I am not sure why fluency has suddenly become
so imperative; I know it is one of the facets of reading the NRP came up
with for the ESEA legislation, but I'm not sure why....

Maureen