Thanks Elisa! It was interesting.
Sue

-----Original Message-----
From: Waingort Jimenez, Elisa <elwaingor...@cbe.ab.ca>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Sun, Jan 31, 2010 3:36 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Back to comprehension...Main Idea

What about main idea in non fiction. I can see purpose or a guiding question helping here as well. I've been talking to my students about getting the gist of a short piece, such as a paragraph. I recently viewed a video about a teacher demonstrating this strategy with her students that I found interesting even though it was geared for grade 4. Here's the url if anyone's interested
http://searchlight.utexas.org/content/4TRA/M7_Comprehension/activities/video2/activity_view
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Sue
Main idea...always a struggle for my kids as are any kinds of big picture
questions. One thing I have found helpful is to help kids consider your
purpose for reading a particular text. What is most important in the text is then what suits your purpose as a reader. I think that the idea that there is a single main idea in a text is a fiction...though tests often feed this misunderstanding. That's where teaching test taking as a particular reading
genre has benefits...
Jennifer