Hi colleagues.  I  need some help.
I am working with two little munchkins in 2nd grade.  They can both read like
the wind, but both demonstrated lots of trouble retelling on the DRA2.

We backed up and spent time with lots of pretelling activites, cohesive ties.
We read easy books with clear story elements.  We sequenced pictures from the
story that were photocopied.  We did activities to visualize the setting, etc.
So far, so good.

Then we began working with Vicki Benson's retelling graphic organizer, and for
one of the students, it was an Aha moment and his retellings have grown.  He's
on his way. So I am celebrating his successes.

However, the other student is dead stuck in the water.  When asked direct
questions - who were the important characters, what was the setting, etc., she
does relatively well consistently.  She does an adequate job retelling with
pictures with LOTS of wait time in between her thoughts, but I can't seem to
move her beyond that.

Any suggestions/strategies you can suggest for me to try would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.
Martha