WOW!  This is fantastic!

From: "STACEY LUND" <lund_sta...@salkeiz.k12.or.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 09:35:44
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email
Group<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Retelling

Several of our teachers have made retell beads with their class, which
is a set of colored pony beads on a ribbon, then used as a bookmark. The
beads are strung on so they slide, much like a golf counter. Kids can
then keep it in their independent reading book and practice the skill on
their own after the teacher has modeled how to use it.

Each bead is a different color, representing a part of a retell:
Purple-Character(s)
Green-Setting
Yellow-Problem
Blue (three different colors of blue)-3 main events
Orange-Solution
White-Connection/Reflection/Observation

We made an anchor chart for students to refer to as they are learning
what each color means. You could also add a picture cue next to the
color and story element, especially to support ELL students.

Sounds like this student would need LOTS of modeling and help with the
blue beads, picking out which events are most important. Depending on
the level of student, the white bead can start out as an observation,
and build to a connection and reflection.

Hope that is helpful!

Stacey

>>> Susanne Lee <susannelee...@yahoo.com> 4/1/2010 3:00 PM >>>
I would love to know what that organizer was also.................

--- On Wed, 3/24/10, Waingort Jimenez, Elisa <elwaingor...@cbe.ab.ca>