Thanks so much Beverlee. This is actually an apt description of what I am
planning. I also think that teaching first grade for ten years has prepared me
to teach grad students.:) From, Mena

PS (The first textbook is often a textbook with a traditional format..i.e. any
one of the Vacca textbooks. However since this class is about Trends and Issues
I haven't found a traditional textbook on Trends and Issues that I am happy
with. Therefore, I am using a seminal piece of literature ...
Kozol, J. (2005). The shame of the nation: The restoration of apartheid
schooling inAmerica. NY:  Crown Publishing.

and my second text choices for my literature circles and jigsaw discussions...I
guess limiting this to three students per group (30 students in class) would
mean only ten choices:

(1)  Allington,R. (2002).  Big brother and thenational reading curriculum:
Howideology trumped evidence. ..OR What Really Matters in Response to
Intervention: Research-Based Designs
(2)  Altwerger,B. (2005).  Reading for profit:  How the bottom line leaves kids
behind.
(3)  Bracey, G.(2004).  Setting the recordstraight:  Responses to
misconceptionsabout public education in the United States.
(4) Coles, G. (2003). Reading the naked truth: Literacy, legislation and lies.
(5) Garan, E. (2004). In defense of our children: When politics, profit, and
education collide.
(6) Shannon, P. (2007).  Reading against democracy:  The broken promises of
reading instruction.
(7) Kohn, A. (2000). The case against standardized testing:  Raising the
scores, ruining the schools.  Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
(8) Zemelman, S., Daniels, H., Hyde, A. (2005).  Best practice:  Today’s
standards for teaching and learningin today’s schools.  Third
Edition,Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
9) Mem Fox Radical Reflections
10) Linda Darling-Hammond The Flat World and Education: How America's
Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future (Multicultural Education)
11) Thomas Newkirk Holding On to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones - Six
Literacy Principles Worth Fighting For
12) The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller
13) Readacide Kelly Gallagher
14) Saving Our Schools: The Case ForPublic Education, Saying No to "No Child
Left Behind" by Shannon, Goodman, Rapoport

Philomena Marinaccio-Eckel, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University
Dept. of Teaching and Learning
College of Education