Would you be willing to share a word sort and exactly what you say (explicit instruction) as you introduce it. I really am not sure I am doing it right after all of this time. I never thought to ask someone to demonstrate online. Thank you.
PatK
On Jun 14, 2010, at 4:27 AM, mimos...@comcast.net wrote:

I have used Words Their Way and Word Journeys for nine years. Explicit instruction on the sort is an essential component for success. I have also found that explaining the sort as a way to help students to decode as they encounter unknown words in their reading is also helpful, especially for my struggling readers; they are very often also the struggling spellers. In addition, I emphasize that the children must say the words as they sort them. This connection between sight and sound improves retention of the pattern.

Maura
5/NJ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patricia Kimathi" <pkima...@earthlink.net>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org >
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 3:09:03 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Words their Way

You said it so much better than I could have, but I always felt like
the sorts needed more instruction.
Thank you.
Pat K
On Jun 13, 2010, at 1:22 PM, kuko...@aol.com wrote:

I find that without the inclusion of transfers on an
assessment (and not for bonus points) as well as needed the didactic
detailed
explanation of why each sort is working the way it does....(in other
words
the phonics rules that support and govern the word patterns...
which takes
more time than the groups schedule comfortably allows) i feel the
program at
least at the first grade level is lackluster and depends on
responsible
partnerships which is not always the case for dependent strugglers
at this