Hello Book Whisperer fans,

1.      I was not a good reader or a bad reader as a child BUT I did know the
people who were better at reading. I hated anything to do with reading out
loud or round robin type reading. In fifth grade my teacher assigned a
book report on something to do with history. I had never actually read a
nonfiction book before and chose “Harriet Tubman and the Underground
Railroad.” This book sticks out in my mind because I finished it! Yes, it
was the first “long” book I had finished.
In high school I became hooked on the VC Andrews’ series of “The Flowers
in the Attic.” Anyone read this book series? Nothing like bizarre brother
and sister love while locked in an attic. Hey, it hooked me as a reader.

2.      I believe I connect with most students at some level. I tell them I was
not the best reader and did not like school. I share my love for reading
now and how that journey takes some time since you must find “the book”
that hooks!
I promote, model and share my reading life. . . practice what I preach. I
am in a bookclub with friends and talk about this with my students (which
some call me a nerd but I laugh because of the irony). Heehee

3.      I bought “The Book Whisperer” on a whim last spring (yes I judged the
book by the title). I implemented the genre ideas with my 8th grade
English class last fall. I had one section of block in English and the
rest were strictly writing classes. Anyways, the students were stunned by
the requirements of 20 books for the semester (our middle school is set up
on block schedule so the class ran 90 minutes for a semester). Needless to
say the class read 366 books that semester. It was incredible! Most loved
but some did not however they still met the requirements. At the end of
the semester 95% of the class responded in the surveys positively that
they couldn’t believe they met the goal of twenty books and loved the
class time to read.
Now this fall I will be teaching 7th grade reading. I am excited to
implement the genre requirements and independent reading. I am looking
forward to this book study to enhance my teaching and learning process
here.

WELCOME everyone and thanks Laura for hosting!
Rhonda

PS: I actually was apart of a totally scripted reading program for 3
years. One of my administrators had me removed because the program owner
did not think reading teachers were right for their program (thank
goodness) Now what does that say about the program? Donalyn is absolutely
right when saying most of these programs are in it for the money and I
believe they do not like people questioning their process. Do I think that
program worked? Hell no! Why can’t administrators see it? Who knows?. . .
Ok off my soap box. 