Carol just curious which program you have to use.  Are you a BIA school?  I
do have some culturally relevant curriculum that can be used to teach with
Houghton Mifflin?  Actually can work regardless....there is a K set of
themes developed around culture (starting with Native American but including
other multicultural lit)  and progressive approaches to literacy!  Email me
off lit if you'd like me to send it.  sally.thom...@verizon.net

It has taken away the joy of teaching reading or any