From: jvma...@comcast.net
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 10:26:39 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Magazines

I've bounced around for years on the topic of magazines, from individual to
class sets. I've subscribed to Nat'l Geo for Kids, SI for Kids, Ranger
Rick--and often found kids 'read' only the pictures. So I let the subscriptions
lapse. We chose a class set of Nat'l Geo Explorer for the last few years; it's
visually stunning and has excellent and engaging articles--but the articles are
long. To use them for modeling and groupwork was tough because of their length
(and the kids wanted to read to the end). I tested 1 issue of Scholastic News
last year and it actually was better: short articles but still appealing to
kids--and I could easily model with them (and SN is what Harvey and Goudvis
used for Strategies That Work). So I'm going with a class set of Scholastic
News this year and keeping my fingers crossed. I get lots of good articles
elsewhere (newspapers, magazines, Comprehension Toolkit, etc.) but I don't want
to spend time/paper running off copies for the kids, so I'm going to try
Scholastic News this year. We'll see.
Judy