I have taught using both.  I think of daily five as a kind of reading
workshop.  During D5, students are reading to themselves (as they would
during reading workshop) but they are also able to choose to write, read
with a friend, listen to a book on tape, or explore word patterns
(approaching literacy from many directions).  In both programs, whole group
lessons are used to model strategies to the students and both end with a
time to share (and reteach).  In both, the teachers meet with small strategy
groups and conference with individuals to set goals/assess progress.  D5
allows students choice in their studies.  D5 also breaks up the workshop
time into 15 to 30 minute segments with mini-lessons in between.  There is
usually not time for students to actually do all five every day but the
choices are available.  Intermediate grade teachers may choose to
eliminate/lessen the word work and listening choices.
One of the best things about the D5 book is the structure of how they
gradually increase stamina of the children in each area to help them work
independently and successfully.  The best thing about reading workshop is
the amount of reading the kids get to do in a day.
I don't think they are mutually exclusive.  If you have a whole school
working within these two structures, you should celebrate.  I would think
teachers could easily choose which is better for their own classroom.  The
focus on comprehension and student empowerment is the same for both.  Must
be a great school!!