I just went through and set up one of my classes. It was a long process
though! I can help with some of your questions but I have my own too.

Here is how I got around signing the kids up without an email address

There is a "hack" with gmail where you can use your own email address as an
adress for multiple people.

for instance my email: readingwritingliter...@gmail.com

if i wanted to make a email for a student, i could do
readingwritingliteracy+stud...@gmail.com
adding the + and any name/code etc. will use your email as the main email
but it's "different" so everyone would have their own log on.

with shelfari you can also change their username to something else and that
can be used as a login instead of the email.

my concern, after doing all this, was when i noticed you can private message
and send emails. i wish there was some way to have some sort of "teacher"
controls. i would like to be able to monitor that because i don't quite
trust 7th graders.

anyone have any experience with this? I'm going to talk to my principal and
be sure to send info home to the parents. I just wish there was a way to
monitor them.

i'm almost thinking of doing away with the individual logins and just have a
class site.

any thoughts?