From: Rabundles [mailto:rabund...@gmail.com]
To: wr...@centurytel.net, Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email
Group [mailto:mos...@literacyworkshop.org]
Sent: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 03:47:43 -0400
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] sitting on the floor?

I teach 6th grade in Middle School and most, but not all, think
  sitting on the floor is "babyish." I bought individual square cusions
  that the students can use if they sit on the floor. Those that want to
  sit up close to me and the book sit on the floor with a cushion. All
  others bring their chairs in tight or sit on top of the desks close to
  me. And between the 3 levels - floor, chair, desk - everyone can see
  and it works real well.
  ~Lisa

  On 10/1/10, wr...@centurytel.net <wr...@centurytel.net> wrote:
  > I teach middle school.  Last year we adopted the workshop model.  Our
  > trainer explained why we have students move in close and sit on the
  > floor during mini lessons.  Last year this worked for my students.
  >
  > This year several of my students are complaining about sitting on the
  > floor.  They say it hurts their back or knees.
  >
  > I don't want to say the SOME kids can sit in chairs, but others cannot.
  >   I'm looking for your thoughts on everyone moving their chairs in
  > close.
  >
  > I have my doubts because it does not feel as intimate, and I think it
  > will not allow me to get in close to the kids when they are talking
  > with their partners.
  >
  > I'm especially interested in hearing from middle school teachers about
  > what has worked for you.
  > Thanks!
  > Jan

****This Message was sent through the Chatham County Schools E-Mail Server****

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and
disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.