We need to model, model and model to show what we want them to do. If we
think of language skills and abilities on a continuum of progression, then
early on we need to work at the verbal level of guiding the learners to
think out loud like we want them to think on paper. If in the upper grades,
3 - 5, we hope to see evidence of questioning with deep thought; then from
early on we need to offer children a time and place to wonder and see and do
deep thinking that is guided rather than just accepted. This purposeful work
will create the essential thinking we hope to achieve.

It is a craft not a series of lessons. My mind has been soaking and steeping
in The Writer's Notebook and Reading With Meaning as I try to incorporate
this work into my second grade classroom.

Have a great day! Kim