I agree with you Jan. Especially personally.  I do think committed adult
learners always want every bit of the information, don't you think?    And I
definitely wouldn't use jig sawing all the time.    But I do think it is
useful for helping students who might have a very hard time reading a larger
volume of text where there isn't really time. (and time is an issue in every
classroom I know)  For example, English language learners have good reason
to read slowly and can't necessarily handle the same volume of reading as
others. And in the case of this request, it was a content area class where
I'm sure teachers are accountable for the content of the curriculum, not
just reading.  So class opportunities would help the students model how to
go about accessing content area reading that at times they would need to do
entirely independently.   It also would be my job as a teacher to be sure
students had an appropriate "into" the text so that dealing with a middle
section and "beyond" (debriefing and clarifying misinterpretations) were
effective experiences.   "Into/thru/beyond" is the "used to be" descriptive
framework for planning reading events during the more constructivist days of
schooling!  I also think there is much value in having students expected to
collaboratively construct meaning and share that construction with others.
Of course it could happen as well with every group reading the same text.

As a teacher of younger students or adults, I would always have available of
the whole text for anyone who wanted it!!!