From: Palmer, Jennifer <jennifer.pal...@hcps.org>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Mon, Jul 18, 2011 3:29 am
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] reading logs

First... Do they have reading material available? Do you spend a couple minutes
in book talks to build interest in a book then allow kids to take that book
home? Do you allow kids a few minutes to do their own book talks? I'd suggest
bringing technology in... Allow kids to post about their nightly reading on a
wiki or create a book commercial podcast

Second... It may be time to build some urgency. Have they been taught (not
told...my word choice is deliberate here) why time spent reading will help them.
Third... I would allow reading materials other than books.

I teach a similar population.., not saying this is easy... Dont give up. It's
too important.
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2011, at 2:04 AM, "da...@aol.com" <da...@aol.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I would greatly appreciate your thoughts about the use of reading logs in my
sixth grade reading/writing workshop. My homework policy is that students read
30 minutes 5 nights a week or 150 minutes a week. They are free to read any
book
they choose. I give students a reading log, due every Monday, that asks them to
document the minutes they read nightly, I ask them to write about their
independent reading weekly, based on the strategies and or elements of
literature we were studying.  I maintain a classroom library and students have
access to the school library every 2 weeks. My problem is that my homework
completion rate is TERRIBLE. Rather , I should say that fewer than 50% of my
students regularly turn in their homework. Atwell, Miller, and many, many other
language arts teachers consider reading at home an important part of their
reading program. I  am tempted to drop the the reading log requiremnent, but I
don't want to "dumb down" my expectations for my students who
 are predominantly blue collar and poor. I want students to have some
accountability, but at the same time I don't want to make the homework process
so cumbersome that it turns my students off to reading independently. What are
your experiences and insights that can help? Thank you.