My students kept a list of books read.  Then we wrote informal  letters,
back and forth, about their reading once a week.  They were more like
conversations.  Took awhile for some to "get it."  "What do you mean write a
letter?"  I said make it like a chatty letter to a friend.  Two of my kids
started labeling their letters "chatty letter #1."  Had to model examples of
course.  And every week, my letters back were models of how people write
about their reading.  Sometimes I would ask some if I could share their
letters so others could see the kinds of things we were writing.  At first
they would tend to write summaries.  But that wasn't what I wanted.  Rather:
Here's what I'm reading.  I'm thinking.  I'm wondering.  I'm discovering
this about myself as a reader.  I'd like to read ..... next.  With patience
and time the letters got interesting.  They were funny, serious, sometimes
profound.   I learned a lot about them as readers.   I know Atwell wrote
about these at one time, Cora Lee Five I think did too, I did too in
Language Arts years ago.

It had a different "feel" than an assignment to my students.  They loved
these letters and got upset if I missed a week.  Only strategy I used that
NEVER got complaints.  Think it felt like writing personal notes with your
teacher!

Sally