I think it's fine if second grade boys (or girls) don't want to analyze a text, but I think that by the time boys and girls are in high school, they must be able to analyze a text. What do we do to move the boys into analysis without pushing them out of a love for reading?

Quoting kimberlee hannan <mrshannan...@gmail.com>:
I just did my master's thesis about this.  If we want boys to read, we need
to give them what they like.
I found with my research and  the boys I studied, that at least with
reading, school has a very elitist definition of what "acceptable" reading
is.  Boys don't want to analyze a text...Boys want books with action,
events, fighting, maybe some blood.  Zombie books have been EXTREMELY
popular in my room.  They don't care for books that have a lot of thoughts
and self searching.  They like comic books and books with short bits of
information. World records books are extremely popular with my boys.  They
like to read and move around.  They want to show each other what they
found. Just what I found... Kim