I used "14 Cows for America" to talk about 9/11 with my students.  The book
deals with a tribe in Africa "symbolically" giving 14 cows, their most prized
possessions, to NYC.  The first year I read the book the students were able to
apply what they learned by doing something for earthquake survivors in Haiti.
This last year they helped with the Relay for Life.  I felt this gave the
students purpose and a way to look outside themselves, many for the first time.
Brenda
Ca/4