Hi Beverlee,
What is DEAR?

And what is the difference between independent level and high instructional level? The names make them sound very different. Although my school gives various reading tests, we do not test for reading level. Can anyone suggest a test I can use in the classroom for reading level so that I can determine what texts are right for my students?
Jan

Quoting "beverleep...@gmail.com" <beverleep...@gmail.com>:
And the other thing we'd do well to remember is the crucial piece in his
work reminding us that the material used absolutely needs to be at an
independent/high instructional level
 in order for the child to continue to grow as a reader. If she's reading
"below grade level" then it's very likely that all of the content books are
too high, so little growth is likely there. Unless the books in readers'
workshop are carefully matched to the readers, we can't expect the kind of
growth that needs to take place. Plus, there has to be quality instruction. It so disappoints me in the [hopefully] rare instances when a teacher
creates what amounts to little more than DEAR, calls it readers' workshop,
and then complains that workshop "doesn't work." So...be sure when you're
looking at the research that you look beyond the conclusions to see how the
research was set up, how the terms are defined, etcetera.  And PLEASE, some
of you, find a collaborator and do this research so teachers in ten years
aren't still asking, "Where's the beef?"
Connected by DROIDVerizon Wireless