From: Sally Thomas <sally.thom...@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Reading Requirement
To: "mosaic listserve" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Date: Tuesday, October 4, 2011, 3:44 PM

My students set their own goals.  We had great discussions about whether or
not they wanted to use # pages, # books.  We had great discussions about the
value of rereading if one wanted to.  And on and on.   I have evidence of
them raising and lowering their goals for different reasons (e.g.
Afterschool commitments etc. for awhile).  Of course at first it took them
some getting used to.  Did I really mean it?  I shared the "research" about
the importance of extensive reading but that it needed to be engaged
reading.  There was literally no way that I could ever really measure that -
it meant that they had to want to read.  Thus their own choices, their own
goals.   So this was their own goal for a reason.  I did "push" sometimes,
like in about the third month asking them to graph categories of books (
categories elicited in a class brainstorm) and they had to plot their own.
In addition to amount, they had to try a text from one new category that
month.

Part of the secret is creating a reading culture where it is an activity
that most (and eventually alll) kids treasure.  Another part is using our
teacher knowledge to help kids find the books they will love.  They also
learn to help each other find those books.

Kids took this super seriously.  Think if you are building in this kind of
thinking (I also did reading dialogue letters once a week - authentic talk
in writing about a book in the form of real letters back and forth) that the
worry about assessment and the worry about not really reading just
disappears.  At least that was my experience.  I LOVED this time and the
letters and the talk.

Sally