Jennifer,  I agree with what you do.  It doesn't scare or worry me as so
many of the approaches to RTI do.  I guess I just think that as a teacher
(and working in a context with colleagues as knowledgeable as I am), what
you describe below would still already be part of my ongoing knowledge
gained from what I do all the time. Maybe what you are describing is the
extra step, probably bringing together several good people to problem solve
together and also pulling together the extra help - what, where, how etc.
that would be part of that problem solving process.  Yes, I might dig deeper
into the phonological issues but again, think I would already have done that
if the question was arising in my own classroom.  I will look into the TPRI
as an initial early screener.

But that raises another issue for me.  Yes probably to be on alert with
kinders and even first.  But some of the issues are in fact developmental.
If children get steered into content poor strategies and programs early on,
that early identification can become a problem, not a solution.  Again, I
trust wherever you are and work but I think this can be a big problem
elsewhere. Being on alert is not a problem.  Means extra good kidwatching
and reading regularly and writing regularly and thinking carefully about
what is happening with that particular child - no slipping betweent he
cracks!

I raise the issues because I have been seeing nightmare approaches going on
in schools I am in every week....Just want to raise the red flags.

Thanks for your careful, thoughtful reply.

Sally