The HELPS program addresses the 3 components of fluency. Again, it is not the
end all, but it is certainly motivating for the learner, and provides
appropriate practice. There are other strategies that aid comprehension and
word fluency, but reading real text with good support, modeling, and goals for
accuracy, rate, and recall comprehension needs to be in place. (I might add
that the DIBELS TRC recall for comprehension is about the same as what is
contained in the HELPS assessment.)
I cannot explain to you the joy on a child's face when s(he) can read and
reaches her goal.

"To see things in the seed, that is the genius." Lao Tzu.

Donna Petree
Exceptional Children's Program
Germanton Elementary School

Email Disclaimer:  Please be advised that the contents of this message and any
reply may be subject to disclosure under North Carolina law.  This
communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information
that may be privileged, confidential, or copyrighted under applicable law.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any
use, copying, or distribution of this communication, in whole or in part, is
strictly prohibited.  Please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and
communication does not constitute consent to the use of sender's contact
information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third
parties.