Jessica,

Most likely this little boy is struggling with sight words... especially out of context.... because they have no real meaning or use for him ... especially out of context. As for memorizing sentence frames... does he have experience with tractors or boats, or are these just words with no schema to which they can be attached? If they are not familiar concepts, then the words will take longer to learn.

Try using "key words" in some way (someone suggested writing his own sentence on the back of cards with the words on them, to add context), and language experience, where he draws pictures and dictates sentences to go with them which an adult can transcribe.

As for spelling tests, I just have to say that I consider them an antiquated strategy that simply will not go away. Is there anything more meaningless than a list of unrelated, isolated words out of context? I don't get that. I know practically everybody does them, but this is one thing I would drop like a hot potato if I could get away with it. My two cents.

Good luck!
Renee