Lisa, where do you teach?

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
From: "Ward, Lisa" <wa...@laramie1.org>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Mon, Jan 30, 2012 18:20:42 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Awakening Heart poetry discussion

Wow Jennifer! I want to teach in your school...would love to hear their work. I remember growing up without poetry, got out of it every chance I had. I never felt I understood exactly what the author meant, and never took the risk to ask. It wasn't until these last few years that I feel poetry. I was in a 2nd grade classroom recently and was blown away at the depth of students understanding toward "friendship" as they were expressing it with "friendship" poetry, it really does "break through the skin of suffering in which children are often imprisoned: silent, confused, scared" (pg. 3)

Our district got involved with the PEBC out of Denver a few years ago, so Poetry is the 3rd genre for every Thinking Strategy study, kids are so smart and they seem to take risks with poetry deepening their understanding. This is the "lens" I am looking through as we go through this book study: student discourse and understanding. Thanks Jennifer, you have given me a lot to think about with students and society and a way to express...