Look, I don't want to start a debate, but there is a place for phonics
skill instruction.  It can be weaved into a Reader's workshop format as
mini lessons, and then applied in context.  There are some kids,
particularly LD kids, dyslexic kids, or struggling readers, who do benefit
from explicit phonics instruction.  Does that mean that the purpose of
reading isn't still making meaning?  Of course not!  You can't make meaning
if you can't read the words!