From: mosaic-bounces+scourie=chatham.k12.nc...@literacyworkshop.org
[mosaic-bounces+scourie=chatham.k12.nc...@literacyworkshop.org] on behalf of
beverleep...@gmail.com [beverleep...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:29 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email    Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Literature Suggestions for Teaching World War 2 AND
PHONICS ISSUES

Let the Celebrations Begin (Vivas) is a powerful book, a picture book, and the
discussions it will prompt among your fourth graders will be incredible.

One reviewer writes, "The book is a testimony of the triumph of the human
heart."  It certainly is, but nevertheless, it draws your young readers into a
time which it refuses to oversimplify.

As an endnote, I'd like to mention the phonics discussion on list lately. This
book is a prime example of a great vehicle to talk about comprehension and deep
structure as discussed in To Understand. It probably isn't as closely related
to Mosaic imho, although a case could be made that it is. Of course, decoding
isn't an issue here, so you're wondering why I brought up the topic.

This list will probably always have "multiple personalities." At its most pure,
it's probably best used as teachers share and discuss how they teach
comprehension, of course. The trick is that there are so many talented teachers
on this list with resources, ideas, and techniques at their fingertips, coupled
with teachers who want to enhance their comprehension instruction and need
recommendations from list members. That is what just happened above.

There has so far not been an extensive discussion on how to use either of these
books to teach comprehension, but I hope the recommendations contribute to the
original query. This sharing is one of the personalities of this group. It's
probably not the original intent of the group, but it's certainly consistent
and congruent with that intent.  I'm a big fan! I've used info from this group
many, many times. I don't mind the split personality at all, but I'm relatively
new to the group.

Now, here comes the rub. While it's so tempting to ask for information, knowing
the richness of knowledge among this group's members, to me it seems reasonable
that the questions and answers match the focus of this particular group. For
instance, probably what triggered the Hot Topic this time was the scripted
phonics program issue. Saxon, or any other scripted, whole-class,
direct-instruction phonics program is mutually exclusive to the kind of
literacy program typically thought of as comprehension-based and discussed on
this group.

Maybe this summer this group could read and discuss what embedded phonics looks
like and how it relates to comprehension. We alsohave a graceful invitation by
Jennifer to respond now.

As an aside, I'm wondering if all our smartphones and kindles and ipads have
handicapped the deep, meaningful discussion than used to be more common here.
God knows, Keith has tried to wake us up, and Jennifer always rises to the
occasion. But it seems sometimes that we have devolved into Sesame Street-paced
replies because we are typing our post on something far-less easy to use for
our word processing than...well, our word processors.

Hmmmm. Bev from Nebraska
Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless