From: Sally Thomas <sally.thom...@verizon.net>
To: mosaic listserve <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Sat, Feb 18, 2012 12:15 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Literature Suggestions for Teaching World War 2

I used Rose Blanche - a powerful book showing a young girl who discovers a
camp and begins sharing her food.  Ending is very hard but my 5th/6th
graders were very moved by the book.

I Never Saw another Butterfly  is a collecion of children's poetry (and some
pictures) found in the camps.  Again, very powerful and moving.

Faithful Elephants  is from the Japanese side of the war.  It's what
happened to the zoo in the bombings.

Let us know how it goes.  Share some of your students' discussions,
reactions. Would love to hear how they might be using the strategies to
understand what they are reading.

Sally