I'd like to share a strategy that has worked well for me in the past, especially with nonfiction. Has anybody ever heard of an Information Walk? In a nut shell what you do is chunk the text you are working with into sections or by subtitles, and assign groups of 2-4 students to be responsible for each passage. The students collaborate in creating a poster with the information required by the teacher. Fpr example the class I work in we recently did this with main idea. We had students make a 4 square on their posters and one square was labeled Main Idea, Supporting Details, Important vocabulary, and Visualization. However, the fun starts when you hang them around your classroom or an empty hallway. Each student is given 3-4 post it notes and a set of 4-5 stickers or stars. As they roam around and learn from each other they have to leave post it note comments, and stickers next to new and interesting information that they acquired from one another. It really fosters student to student learning, and they are so excited to get their poster back to see what the others wrote.

I have done this same activity for Determining Importance. Instead of 4 squares a I have them make 2 columns one titled Important Information and the other Interesting. You can adapt this to almost anything, and even use this to activate schema for prior knowledge or as a post reading activity. And of course the big question should always be " Why is this important?" ....thank you Renee for that!

Earlier todayI tried to send my pics with this email but it bounced back to me. If anybody would like to see a photo of the finished product just email me personally and I will send it to you. This activity has been very successful, and as you well know the enthusiasm when you hand students post it notes and stickers is overwhelming. Also, I love setting it up outside of the classroom....for some reason the different environment adds to the excitement when students go on their Information Walk!

Donna
Intervention Gr3/4