Emma,

I am wondering....

Have you done a letter-to-you writing minilesson? Perhaps students are not putting in their letters what you need to read in order to conference with them effectively. What is it that you want, exactly, from these letters? Maybe that's a question that you need to answer for yourself. What about a whole group brainstorming session on what could be in these letters to help in the conferences?

Another question you might ask yourself is, What do I want to know, exactly?

Also, since you have older students (well, older to me, as I am primarily a primary person) who already know how to read proficiently, they may not need as much help as you'd like to give. From your description below and your list of what your focus is, it seems as though you are doing ok here.

So, to come full circle, what if you had a list of things you'd want students to choose from when they write a letter to you? For example, a reference chart of strategies with the list: foreshadowing, theme, type of conflict, symbolism, etc.... with a prompt at the top: "How does this book show....." This could be something your students could refer to when they write the letters to you, to choose JUST ONE of those things to tell you about.

And.... here's what I think is the absolute number one question to ask in a reading conference:

"Tell me more."

It's so open-ended that the student can choose where to go with it. THEN, your job is to really listen, without a preconceived notion or idea or goal, and have a true conversation with the student about what he or she is reading.

At least that's my opinion. :-)
Renee