As a teacher of exceptional children who struggle with reading fluency and
comprehension, reading mini-lessons and conferencing mostly consists of word
strategies and meta-cognition for making sense. For children with processing
difficulties, this can be a lot of work. The best reading material LOOKS like
what everybody else is reading, but has decodable text. Discussions, checking
for understanding, drawing simple pictures of what is happening in the text
helps. But what helps the most is the feeling that "we are reading for reading"
and that are a group with the discovery of learning as our goal. National
standards will put "informational" reading for elementary students in the
forefront. I like that social studies will be part of the
language arts curriculum, because we do need an informed society. But to assume
that we are crafting opinion and argument as a major goal for 21st Century
learners at the developmental level we are starting may be a lofty and
dangerous place to go. If I remember my childhood well enough, it was about
work as play and joy in the natural world. When it became political,
problematic, or seriously disappointing, the innocent and pleasurable part of
life was lost. Picture books are wonderful, trade books are nice and contain
lots of graphics. My students want to read chapter books and enjoy reading like
everyone else. Is there anything wrong with that?

Donna Petree
Exceptional Children's Program
Germanton Elementary School

Email Disclaimer:  Please be advised that the contents of this message and any
reply may be subject to disclosure under North Carolina law.  This
communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information
that may be privileged, confidential, or copyrighted under applicable law.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any
use, copying, or distribution of this communication, in whole or in part, is
strictly prohibited.  Please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and
communication does not constitute consent to the use of sender's contact
information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third
parties.