Mentor text works best. For 6th graders, what about the article Sis! Boom!
Bah! Humbug! by Rick Reilly. I wonder if you can find it on the internet
somewhere. Also, you can search the archives by Leonard Pitts and see if
there is anything there that can be used for kids. Also, New York Times
Upfront -- often posts their debate section on line (as so many of the
other kids magazines, including Scope magazine -- or at least they used
to).

I might also start with persuasive letters or looking at editorial
cartoons. I think too, you may want to start by having students generate
their own topics. I enjoy helping students make lists of things that bother
them and then write from those lists.

Writing to Persuade: Minilessons to Help Students Plan, Draft and Revise
(Heinemann, 2008) is a great resource -- although I am a bit partial, since
I am the author. Also Barry Lane has a book called, Why We Must Run with
Scissors that is also an great resource.

Karen

--
*Karen Caine*

Literacy Consultant
Author of: Writing to Persuade: Minilessons to Help Students Plan, Draft
and Revise (Heinemann)

141 South Van Dien Avenue
Ridgewood, NJ 07450

770-912-9082