Seems like you have done all of the best practices for fluency. the only other
thing you may want to try is to record (I use digital) his reading. This has
helped many of my readers. When they hear it played back they seem to be able
to pick up there errors and it has been motivating.
From: mosaic-bounces+mcostello=rhnet....@literacyworkshop.org
[mosaic-bounces+mcostello=rhnet....@literacyworkshop.org] on behalf of norma
baker [hutch1...@juno.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:36 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: [MOSAIC] fluency question

Morning, I have a student who has a high average IQ.  He tests at "Z" in the
a-z assessment, but his fluency (DIBELS) is at  77.  In January the fourth
grade goal was 105, so he is significantly below that expectation.  He has
received fluency support with Quick Reads (similar to REad Naturally or Great
Leaps), readers' theater and poetry for repeated readings.  I personally feel
that he tries too hard and so whenever is timed (dare I say that word), he
chokes.  His fluency is obviously not impacting his ability to comprehend or to
access the curriculum in class.  He currently has 5 x 25 on his grid for
fluency support and we suspect that his mom (lovely person, strong advocate) is
going to push for 1-1 support. What else would anyone recommend trying with
this student to improve his fluency? Thanks! norma PS  I'm not looking for a
philosophical discussion about the merits of DIBELS or measuring fluency.  I'm
aware of "the good, the bad and the ugly".  This is the situation !
 I have andI am  just trying to seek alternate solutions!  Thanks!!!!!  An old
man once said, "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all
the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make
you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you
right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."