Since you are sensing that he is choking under the duress of a timed
reading, have you tried timing him without him knowing it, or having him
record his reading on his own to get another form of sampling?
Interestingly, I had a student who read meticulously slow, and once he
heard his own reading he stated, "I can do better than that." From there,
he significantly upped his words per minute. Otherwise, possibly try a
"duration" timing.  If you are unfamiliar with that process, it just means
that you time him with a longer passage for a longer period of time, then
do the math accordingly; i.e. if it takes him three minutes to read, divide
his total word rate by three.  My understanding is that duration was
designed for kids who are quick out of the gate, or those who speed up as
they become more confident.  I would even consider starting his timing once
he is a minute or so into the passage.

--

*Cindy Brovold*
*Literacy Coach

 *“*Literacy arouses hopes, not only in society as a whole but also in the
individual who is striving for fulfilment, happiness and personal benefit
by learning how to read and write. Literacy... means far more than learning
how to read and write... The aim is to transmit... knowledge and promote
social participation.*”*

- UNESCO Institute for Education, Hamburg, Germany