Our school district is offering technology grants this year and my first grade
team has decided to apply.  After watching one of our 2nd grade teachers
embrace technology, doing an action research project on improving student
engagement, we became inspired.  She also uses iPads to have students record
their math proofs and explain science concepts.  So we thought, wouldn't it be
great to use iPads in reading.  We could have students read ebooks in Daily 5.
We could have them record themselves reading and listen to and critique
themselves, teaching them to listen for mistakes and make it sound like they
talk.  We could also have them keep vocabulary dictionaries with definitions,
example sentences and pictures.  We're just starting to do research for free
and not-so-expensive, but very effective apps for practicing sounds, spellings,
vocab, etc.  We also are looking for ebook resources that are leveled readers
to help us select "good fit" books for independent reading.

We're looking for studies that have already been conducted on the effectiveness
of using iPads to improve accuracy.  Plus additional resources for apps and
ebooks.  Other comments and advice are also welcome.

Best regards,
Pam Soderquist