The following list is my no means exhaustive but there are a number of really
interesting dicussions about the use of mobile devices in the classroom.  It
might not be exactly what you are looking for in terms of research and ELA but
my interest in how we use IT to enhance student learning tends to have us
moving towards a more child centred/inquiry approach and a shift in pedagogy.
Why use an expensive item like an ipad if you are just going to use it the same
way you would use a book?  How can you ensure that how you use the ipad will
enhance learning?  Is it only about student engagement?  How are you going to
tranfer files from the ipad for eportfoliios and as records of student
achievement and are you?  These are all questions I have grappled with for the
past few months.  Success with student reading and an IPAD.  Well, I will
publish my 'independent research study' comparing MAP and DRA in May for two
students who were struggling sixth
 grade readers (DRA Level M/N at the start of the year) and for whom I turned
nearly all reading instruction into IPAD reading with specific instruction.
apps and expectations.  Waiting on permission from parents to post a film of
the students discussion on how their reading changed  to teacher tube.  If you
are interested in this and a blog on using IT to support the teaching of ELA
please feel free to contact me by email for the link.

Papers and posters published re the iPad and mobile devices
        * Dr. Ian J. Shepherd and Dr. Brent Reeves: iPad or iFad – The reality
of a paperless classroom
        * Jeffrey Brand and Shelley Kinash: Pad-agogy: A quasi-experimental and
ethnographic pilot test of the iPad in a blended mobile learning environment
        * Jacqui Kelly and Judy Schrape: 100 days with an iPad: Lessons learnt
and apps acquired
        * Nathaniel Ostashewski and Doug Reid: iTeach, iDance: Using the iPad
in the body-kinesthetic teaching context
        * Swee-Kin Loke, Mark Lokman, Michael Winikoff, Jenny McDonald, Rob
Wass, Maryam Purvis, Richard Zeng, Christoph Matthaei, & Peter Vlugter: Lessons
in designing sustainable mobile learning environments
        * Karen M. Scott, Sharon Kitching, Daniel Burn, Marianna Koulias,
Dianne Campbell & Megan Phelps: “Wherever, whenever” learning in Medicine:
Interactive mobile case-based project
        * Thomas Cochrane and Roger Bateman: Smartphones give you wings:
Pedagogical affordances of mobile Web 2.0
        * Kathryn MacCallum and Lynn Jeffrey: Identifying discriminating
variables that determine mobile learning adoption by educators: An initial study
        * Henrik Valstad: iPad as a pedagogical device
        * Norshuhada Shiratuddin and Syamsul Bahrin Zaibon: Local content game:
The preferred choice for mobile learning space
        * Jenny Waycott and Gregor Kennedy: Mobile and Web 2.0 technologies in
undergraduate science: Situating learning in everyday experience
        * Nathaniel Ostashewski and Doug Reid: iPod, iPhone, and now iPad: The
evolution of multimedia access in a mobile teaching context
        * Robert C. Meurant: The iPad and EFL Digital Literacy ~ Robert Meurant
has written quite a few papers in this field of study.
        * Brian Ferry: Using mobile phones to enhance teacher learning in
environmental education