From: Ruth Weil <weilruth...@gmail.com>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wed, Sep 12, 2012 2:38 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Selective Mutism and Literacy Assessment

In order to assess kindergarten readiness in a selectively mute child
I knew, his mother had to videotape him.  He didn't speak in school
until he was in second grade.  I know that it's important not to
stress the child about the mutism, so it will be really important to
downplay whatever you try with testing.  If it becomes a big deal, it
may make the time until he/she finally speaks even longer.  Maybe
giving the child some cards to point at with choices would work.