The student I worked with would whisper read. He would answer multiple choice and fill in the blank. I also had him fill out a retell frame to assess comprehension but it was a long time coming to this point. He eventually would sometimes retell to a friend as practice while I listened to the side.
Good Luck,
Katie

On 9/12/2012 6:51 AM, Mena wrote:
THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS LISTSERV! Such collegiality!
Philomena Marinaccio-Eckel, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University
Dept. of Teaching and Learning
College of Education
2912 College Ave. ES 214
Davie, FL  33314
Phone:  954-236-1070
Fax:  954-236-1050
-----Original Message-----
From: Liagre, Pamela <pamela.lia...@gpschools.org>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wed, Sep 12, 2012 7:45 am
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Selective Mutism and Literacy Assessment

I had a selective mute in 2nd grade last year. She never spoke to me in class.
To assess her I trained her mom early on and she did the assessment w mom in the
hallway and I stood inside the room to listen. As the year progressed she was
willing to "speak" to me via FaceTime.  It is so hard and frustrating...good
luck.

Sent from my iPhone