I agree that there is near total agreement in regard to ECE testing.
However, there actually are some who feel that the standards can have
benefit to ECE.  See

Camp, D. (2007). Where do standards come from? A phenomenological study of
the development of national board early childhood/generalist
standards. *Journal
Of Research In Childhood Education*, *21*(4), 420.

Goldstein, L. S. (2008). Teaching the standards is developmentally
appropriate practice: Strategies for incorporating the sociopolitical
dimension of DAP in early childhood teaching. *Early Childhood Education
Journal*, *36*(3), 253-260.
I believe the actual controversy lies within the whole of education, which
would include the powers that be (government authorities) as well.  I
absolutely agree that MOST ECE teachers and experts are in agreement
against the extreme testing that can come as a result of the standards.
But the whole of education does not feel so strongly about it.  So the
controversy, in my mind, comes within the field of education and includes
experts, teachers, those people who create the standards, government
officials, etc.  The literature review attempted to bring into focus the
main issues at hand (standards and testing) and the responses to them by
the many experts in ECE.  If you'd like a copy, I'll be happy to send it to
you.

Thanks for your feedback!  It's very helpful and great to think through all
these issues.