Sally
First---to your last point! YES! Share some running records and miscues and
let's discuss the miscues and what it says about students. If you have some to
start us off with, go right ahead with my blessing. I think a lot of us would
find that a powerful learning experience.

Second... I think many teachers confuse purposes for assessments...or they try
to make one assessment do too many things. Some assessments are meant to fuel
instruction. These are the more formative assessments that you are describing
below. We listen to kids read. We infer about their reading process through
their miscues. We look at their writing and infer their knowledge of text
structure...phonics and writing conventions.  Dibels, though the company might
argue otherwise, is a different sort of assessment. The purpose of DIBELS and
also TPRI  is really to identify kids at risk. Students who can't meet a
certain benchmark are at risk of being unsuccessful readers. A student who
can't read a certain number of words per minute is usually (not always)
struggling in reading. It is used to figure out who (which students) to spend
more time on...not necesarily how to spend that time. Example...letter name
knowledge is one of the strongest predictors of whether or not a student is
going to be able to read successfully...BUT, teaching letter names is really
going to ensure kids can decode. Think about it...when we sound out a word, we
really only need to know the sound, not the name. Students who are very slow
readers may truly be at risk...but unless you know why they are slow readers,
you cannot remediate accurately and therefore we get into all kinds of bad
practices like training kids to speed read.

Districts/schools have a vested interest in knowing exactly who might struggle.
If we do our jobs well, we don't use DIBELS info alone to set up an
intervention program. We do what YOU are suggesting...get into observing
specifics and intervene where students are coming up short as they process
text.

And then there is the type of assessment that is used to track progress for
schools. State tests really can't inform day to day instruction...but there is
a need for districts to be able to tell whether or not schools are, overall,
successfully teaching. State tests are used legitimately for that purpose...
but we often try to make that data work for other purposes...and it's not meant
to.

When we are deciding on a new assessment, we have to think...what do I need to
know? Who  is the audience for this data? If we want to inform classroom
instruction...it needs to be ongoing...in the moment...not added on, but part
of what we do every day. If we use something like Dibels (which I have NEVER
been a fan of), we do need to make sure we use it for what it is meant to do.
Identify kids who may need intervention. How we intervene, requires different
assessments altogether

Jennifer L. Palmer, Ed. D.

Instructional Facilitator

National Board Certified Teacher

Magnolia Elementary (home school)

901 Trimble Road

Joppa, MD 21085

410-612-1553

Fax 410-612-1576

"Reaching, Teaching, Learning, Changing Lives!!"

Norrisville Elementary

5302 Norrisville Road

White Hall, MD 21161

410-692-7810