Hi everyone,

 there is quite a discussion about  hierarchical and syntax-based approaches
here at the moment. For lack of time I could not follow it closely, so I hope
this question contributes to the discussion rather than being superfluous: in
terms of {tree/string} -> {tree/string}, how would you classify Hiero? My
understanding of tree -> {string/tree} is that you have a source tree given,
which is not the case for Hiero. And string->string does in my understanding
not involve CFG-like rules at all. So Hiero would be string->tree. But this
solution is  entirely based on eliminating the alternatives. I'd prefer to have
an expert come up with a constructive explanation.

Thanks much!
   Thomas (currently University of Düsseldorf)

P.S: MERT now has an optional positivity constraint.