Hi,

I would be a bit uncomfortable to call Hiero a string-to-tree model,
since the use of "tree" in these descriptions typically refers to a
syntactic
tree with linguistically motivated labels.

The whole confusion stems from the distinction between formally syntactic
and linguistically syntactic models. David Chiang makes this distinction and
calls Hiero formally syntactic, but not linguistically syntactic.

-phi