hi tom

good questions

On 02/06/2012 16:23, Tom Hoar wrote:
> Hi Hieu,
>
> Hope all is well with you where ever you hang hour had now-days.
> Before updating my Github to these changes, I reviewed the previous
> train-model.perl. It generated some questions and a couple
> suggestions, but sending them direct vice moses-support.
>
> 1) in the previous version, the value of $BINDIR was set during make
> install. Users had the -bin-dir argument to override the default. How
> is your -external-bin-dir update different?
-external-bin-dir is $BINDIR from previous versions. However, i don't
set a default value for it. it must be set from the command line.

> 2) The mgizapp setup that sets $SNT2COOC seems to be in error when it
> says "# Since "snt2cooc.out" and "snt2cooc" work the same". The last I
> checked, they do not have the same command-line interface. I'm still
> working with MGIZA++ SVN rev 16 because anything newer is broken when
> using the repository version of boost libraries. I've reported the
> problems, but seems Qin is pretty busy. Everything from rev 17 on
> comes with a disclaimer it's in transition to work on MS Windows and
> Linux might be broken. So, I don't know if the newer updates changed
> the snt2cooc command line.
new mgiza works for me. snt2coocis annoyingly slightly different between
giza++ & mgiza. That's taken care of in
    train-model.perl line 1000
If there are problems with them, report it to the original developers,
or to the moses mailing list if you have to.

> 3) train-model.perl default setting for $_MGIZA_CPUS is hard-coded to
> 4. How about using something like this to set it based on the host's
> resources. I don't know if Sys:CPU is a standard Perl resource.
>
>     use Sys::CPU;
>     $number_of_cpus = Sys::CPU::cpu_count();
its not installed by default on my mac. Not sure about unixes. May be
more trouble than its worth. Unless you wanna commit it and deal with
the tantrums

> 4) there was a moses-support thread a while back that said MGIZA++'s
> merge_alignment.py is broken for CPU counts over 10. I checked into it
> and sure enough, MGIZA++ uses a strange way to increment its temp file
> numbering. It increments based on the ASCII decimal value starting at
> 48 (or 49 don't remember), so after '0' (or '1') thru '9', filenames
> change to ':', ';', '<', etc. I was going to update the python script
> to count the same, but haven't had time find the exact string
> concatenation. Maybe this next week or two.
look forward to the fix.