Hi,

the comment at the beginning on the section on specifying the external
bin dir containing GIZA++, mkcls, etc., is meant to inform that
whenever you run any of the invocations of train-model.perl described
later in the instructions, you must also include this specification.

Running train-model.perl with just the external-bin specification and
nothing else will not do anything useful (the error message you get
informs you that you need to specify a parallel training corpus).

-phi