On that interesting idea that moses should be naturally good at
translating things, just for general considerations.

Since some said this thread has educational value I would like to share
something that might not be obvious due to the SMT-biased posts here.
Moses is also the _leading_ tool for automatic grammatical error
correction (GEC) right now. The first and third system of the CoNLL
shared task 2014 were based on Moses. By now I have results that surpass
the CoNLL results by far by adding some specialized features to Moses
(which thanks to Hieu is very easy).

It even gets good results for GEC when you do crazy things like
inverting the TM (so it should actually make the input worse) provided
you tune on the correct metric and for the correct task. The interaction
of all the other features after tuning makes that possible.

So, if anything, Moses is just a very flexible text-rewriting tool.
Tuning (and data) turns into a translator, GEC tool, POS-tagger,
Chunker, Semantic Tagger etc.