Training appears to work with passing "-placeholder-factor 1 -xml-input
exclusive" to mert-moses and I get the expected results throughout the
tuning process.

Unfortunately, it appears that the compact phrase table implementation
(reordering is fine) is not compatible with placeholders. I found some
inconclusive discussion of the issue about a year ago.

I am working with the 2.1.1 release, and will investigate the 3.x release
-- does anyone have any information or experience using placeholders, the
compact phrase tables, and mosesserver (another sometimes problematic
element) together?

Thanks,
mike.