Hi Roko

Apart from compact phrase tables, which you should try:

You could start several Moses servers on different ports, with different decoding parameters. Would that not be feasible for you?

Regards

Mathias

On 05.04.17 13:33, RR wrote:
Hi,

I am currently working on a system to explore MOSES decoding parameter space - running MOSES in decoding mode with one parameter set, getting a BLEU score and rerunning with different parameters.

More than 50% of my time is being spent repeatedly "loading" the phrase table, language model and reordering model. For example,

$ ./example.fr <http://example.fr> | .../moses -f ./run11.moses.ini -threads 31 > ./trans_baseline

gives: "Start loading text phrase table. Moses format : [37.296] seconds."

37 seconds just to load a 590MB phrase table, even if it is on RAMDISK. htop indicates that for those 37 seconds, a single core is 100% utilized.

My understanding is that some kind of optimized data structure (a hash table of some kind?) is being created in those 37 seconds, which is then lost and recreated when I re-run MOSES with a different value of a decoding parameter.

If I want to eliminate this loading time, what is the best way forward? Is there a phrase table format that avoids a significant loading time (i.e. a 500MB phrase table loads in < 1 sec)? Should I try to find a way to run a single MOSES server but with different decoding parameters? I have a system with 130GB RAM and I am using a small phrase table that has been filtered for my decoding set.

Thanks in advance,

Roko